The goal of Integrated Project PReVENT is to contribute to the:
- road safety goal of 50% fewer accidents by 2010 - as specified in the key action 22.214.171.124. eSafety for Road and Air Transport from the European Union.
- competitiveness of the European automotive industry
- European scientific knowledge community on road transport safety
- congregation and cooperation of European and national organisations and their road transport safety initiatives
PReVENT envisions the early availability of advanced, next generation preventive and active safety applications and enabling technologies and an accelerated deployment on European roads.
In accordance with goals above, PReVENT:
- develops, demonstrates, tests and evaluates preventive safety applications, using advanced sensor, communication and positioning technologies integrated into on-board systems for driver assistance
- facilitates the co-operation of all stakeholders leading to the earliest possible implementation of preventive/active safety systems in Europe.
- assists technological development and integration as well as decreases component costs
- contributes towards rapid market introduction and field penetration by helping to overcome major barriers including risk assessment and liability issues in introducing such systems
- creates a greater awareness of the active safety approach (roadmaps, systems, common architecture including infrastructure, cost efficiency and benefits to the potential users) leading to increased user demands for preventive/active safety
PReVENT will enable the European industry to further strengthen this position by introducing leading edge technologies while helping to reduce road accidents.