MAPS&ADAS-SafeMap joint workshop highlights digital maps for road safety
1 February event concludes that digital maps have large potential to enable/enhance ADAS applications for safer, smarter and cleaner road transport.
The EC-supported, ERTICO-coordinated MAPS&ADAS project (a subproject of IP PReVENT) and the DEUFRANKO SafeMap project held a 1 February joint workshop in Paris, France on which offered an excellent opportunity for key actors in the public and industry sectors, as well as research organisations to exchange views on open issues - including the provision and maintenance of safety attributes.
Emilio Davila-Gonzalez spoke on behalf of the European Commission DG INFSO while Peter Heinzelmann represented the German Ministry of Economy and Innovation and Marie Claire de Franclieu, the French Department of Transportation – Road Safety Directorate.
Conclusions from the workshop were as follows:
- Digital maps have large potential to enable/enhance ADAS applications for safer, smarter and cleaner road transport.
- The ADAS Horizon concept offers a great opportunity to extend use of navigation system platform by means of a standardised ADAS Interface between map data sources and ADAS applications.
- It is time for prototype implementations to pave the way for deployment and market introduction of map-based/map-supported ADAS applications.
- A Major challenge is the provision and maintenance of “good quality” safety attributes by means of appropriate public/private cooperation.
The next steps include:
- A MAPS&ADAS Impact Assessment, with results to be presented at the Aallborg ITS Congress, 18-20 June 2007.
- A live demonstration at the IP PReVENT Exhibition, 18-22 September 2007 in Versailles.
For more information, please contact ERTICO Head of Deployment/MAPS&ADAS Project Coordinator Vincent Blervaque or Martial Chevreuil (ISIS), SafeMap project coordinator.