ProFusion2 pushes the sensor data fusion techniques used for advanced driver assistance systems beyond the current state-of-the-art. A modular and interoperable fusion architecture for multi-sensor systems has been set up which integrates diverse approaches.
The integration of multiple safety applications in the vehicle requires common sets of sensors with robust sensor data fusion. ProFusion2 aims to:
- Develop concepts and methods for sensor data fusion to improve the reliability and robustness of perception systems
- Define, implement a flexible and modular architecture for fusion systems with diverse approaches
- Establish and maintain the Fusion Forum, which promotes sensor data fusion in driver assistance and active safety systems
ProFusion2 delivers an extended view of the vehicle environment to applications.
Data structures are defined at each processing step during the fusion process going from raw sensor data to signal features and objects detected in the environment.
Different benchmark architectures and approaches are being developed and tested using this functional model, namely early fusion (FORWISS), multi-level fusion (TUC), fusion feedback (SAGEM), track-based fusion (ICCS) and grid-based fusion (INRIA).
Applications of Results
ProFusion2 is strictly geared to the perception demands of a variety of function-oriented IP PReVENT demonstrator vehicles. Particular emphasis is given to the comparative assessment of the various sensor data fusion approaches, particularly with regard to the status accomplished by the subprojects without the attainment of ProFusion2.
Five demonstrator vehicles will participate to the benchmarking:
- COMPOSE BMW contributing to VRU (vulnerable road users) recognition
- INSAFES CRF with its all-around collision warning
- SASPENCE CRF with the safe speed and safe following function
- APALACI DaimlerChrysler with occupant protection function
- COMPOSE - SAFELANE Volvo Technology with lane keeping and braking collision mitigation on trucks
Through workshops and symposia, the Fusion Forum encourages an exchange of information and knowledge among experts in the field of sensors and sensor data fusion with OEMs, suppliers and research groups from within and outside IP PReVENT. ProFusion2 serves the broad automotive sensor data fusion community as a conceptual framework of common understanding and provides recommendations and guidelines for implementation of fusion systems.
Forum activities within ProFusion 2
The Forum, an activity of ProFusion, responsible for information and knowledge exchange on the field of sensors and sensor data fusion, will be extended and continued within ProFusion II. During workshops, ProFusion II will ensure the exchange of experts from diverse groups, such as OEMs, suppliers and research communities and complement the expertise of PReVENT partners bringing them together with sensor data and information fusion experts from other fields. This forum will be complemented with annual scientific eJournals to feed back information and results to PReVENT.
ProFusion2 is a horizontal activity integrating its results with the six IP PReVENT subprojects mentioned above.
|Collaboration with the national project SEFS on sensor data fusion.
|Exchange of information
DELPHI ELECTRONICS & SAFETY
Tel : +49 202 291 4484
e-mail : [email protected]