For several years, research and development (R&D) activities have been developing and improving preventive safety equipment for automotive applications. More recent advances have led to an agreement on the utilisation of common sets of sensors for different safety applications and sensor data fusion for the improvement of the performance and robustness of automotive functions.
The Integrated Project PReVENT addresses all preventive safety issues and is developing functions that widely rely on multi-sensor approaches and sensor data fusion. It is thus planned to have cross-functional activities that ensure and encourage the optimal use of multi-sensor systems beyond the current state-of-the-art.
This is the role of the ProFusion Horizontal sub-project in IP PReVENT, which follows a two-step process:
- Initial phase (six months): the subproject ProFusion 1 closely cooperated with all IP PReVENT vertical subprojects that led activities related to sensors and sensor data fusion (i.e. projects that developed active safety functions for longitudinal and lateral control, intersection safety, collision mitigation and pedestrian protection). At the end of this preparatory phase, recommendations for a proposal on sensors and sensor data fusion concepts were given.
- Phase 2: the R&D-oriented project ProFusion 2 started in April 2005 and is focusing on research work of common interest in all tasks related to sensor data fusion.
ProFusion's R&D work will be based on a modular framework for sensor data fusion that hosts a variety of diverse tasks and fusion approaches (from object and feature refinement to situation refinement and assessment). This architecture will be based on an extended scene/environment model, consisting of a set of common data structures for sensor, object and situation refinement algorithms.
In addition, a significant goal of the project is to interact with third parties on a bilateral basis in order to validate the foreseen ProFusion results and gain feedback from well-respected organisations all over the world, with the aim of creating an international consensus on the necessity of using sensor data fusion in multi-sensor environments for intelligent vehicles.
To serve this scope, ProFusion will host a number of events, including workshops, seminars, and sessions in workshops and exhibitions; but most importantly, ProFusion will operate the Fusion Forum.
The Fusion Forum includes key organisations from all over the world that will be in close contact with the ProFusion activities. By becoming a Fusion Forum member, you will be able to:
- Be the first to know about ProFusion results
- Consult a number of project deliverables
- Become a member of our communication server and take part in our e-discussions
- Build synergies through the Network and supply any external collaboration if required
- Be able to propose research ideas to ProFusion and obtain Profusion support and collaboration from some of its partners.
- Receive invitations and participate (with reduced fees) in a number of ProFusion events
- Receive the ProFusion annual e-journal
In exchange, your active contribution in the Fusion Forum is essential, and you may be asked to:
- Provide your expert point of view on ProFusion results and roadmap
- Provide a quality review of some ProFusion deliverables on a confidential basis
- Act as members of the scientific committees of ProFusion Workshops and e-journal
Download the Fusion Glossary, and send comment to [email protected]
Fusion glossary_v05.pdf (NaN KB)
For any other information, feel free to contact Dr Aris Polychronopoulos, ICCS (Responsible for the Fusion Forum) at [email protected] or Dr Su Birm Park, DELPHI (ProFusion 2 sub-project Leader) at [email protected], or e-mail [email protected]