D40/41/42/43 Description of new active safety functionality
The Integrated project PReVENT contributes to road safety by supporting the development of active safety systems. The INTERSAFE subproject covers the analysis of intersection-related accidents, sketches ideas for accident prevention and will finally provide solutions for enhanced intersection safety.
This report relates closely to previous deliverables that have been carried out:
- Accident analysis (D40.4 and individual reports),
- System requirements (D40.4) and
- System specifications (D40.44)
Based on this work, the safety functions themselves can now be developed.
This deliverable addresses the following main topics:
- The methodology briefly describes necessary basic work done prior to system development itself. It draws the line from the very beginning to the current status. It also covers both chosen approaches by describing basics of the simulator such as optical or kinaesthetic feedback as well as the test vehicle.
- According to the top-down approach, safety systems for intersections have been developed using virtual-reality systems such as rapid-prototyping software and a driving simulator. Solutions for the relevant scenarios:
- Left turn path,
- Turn into / straight crossing path and
- Traffic light violation
have successfully been integrated.
- Parallel work was done regarding the test vehicle equipped with new technologies. Prototype traffic lights communicating via WLAN and advanced mapping
allowed the driver to experience assistance functions while driving under real-world conditions.
System verification is a major topic for the next phase. Appropriate testing methods are:
- Test intersections (if possible under real traffic conditions) are used to evaluate sensors as well as the system concept.
- Test drivers will assess the system functionality and the HMI concept using the dynamic driving simulator.
This is part of the deliverable D 40.77.